In order to inquire and/or apply for a position at SCWS, please share your resume and cover letter with us via email at HR@scwhitmoreschool.org
South Carolina Whitmore School
Job Title: Secondary Online English/Language Arts Teacher
Position Status: Part-Time (contracted for services)
South Carolina Whitmore School (SCWS) is an innovative leader in providing a high quality, personalized, online high school learning environment. SCWS utilizes a personalized, self-paced, learning model, equipped with an extended school year, in order to support and promote the academic success of at-risk high school students throughout South Carolina.
Every student has access to highly qualified, certified, and supportive teachers and school counselors, as well as other supportive administrative staff members. Each student learns through a supportive, yet challenging self-paced curriculum, which promotes high academic achievement. All courses meet South Carolina state academic standards and students graduate well prepared for both college and career.
SC Whitmore School teachers report directly to the Director of Teacher Quality and Support and work one-to-one with students to effectively teach course material until mastery of each lesson is achieved.
The teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
- Support the personalized learning program of each student with asynchronous lessons and synchronous teaching using online tools.
- Communicate with students on a regular basis, grade student work, provide feedback on all assignments, suggest new strategies and monitor course progress.
- Develop a detailed knowledge of the courses for which responsible.
- Support students and parents with alternate strategies to successfully learn course material and provide additional assistance with assignments as needed.
- Communicate with school counselors and other department members through use of email and phone.
- Keep student grades and data up-to-date and provide feedback for quarterly progress reports.
- Attend or watch recordings of monthly department meetings to stay updated on the needs of the school, share input, provide feedback on goals, share concerns and seek assistance from coworkers.
- Certified and highly qualified to teach secondary education in South Carolina.
- Online Teaching Endorsement, or currently seeking the endorsement through the SC Department of Education.
- Strong technology skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Student focused approach to teaching.
- High degree of flexibility.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of excellent teaching skills.