Do I need Internet access?

Yes. In order to access the curriculum you will need access to high speed Internet.

Do I need to have a computer?

Yes. In order to access the curriculum you will need a computer that meets basic specifications. For a list of basic specifications, please contact the school office.

Am I able to complete my school work on a tablet or a smart phone?

No. Students are expected to conduct their school work on a laptop or desktop computer. These platforms allow students to save their work and complete their courses at a faster pace and also eliminate most compatibility issues.

Is this a private school? Is this considered homeschooling?

No (to both). SC Whitmore School is a public school. We are proudly a part of the South Carolina Public Charter School District. Visit our district website to learn more.

What is the cost of attending SC Whitmore School?

Since we are a public school, there is no cost to attend SC Whitmore School.

When can I enroll?

SC Whitmore School has a flexible academic calendar. Students can enroll any time of the year and begin coursework. At any time during the school year SCWS may reach a point of capacity enrollment. At this point a wait-list is enacted and students are enrolled on a first come first served basis.

Are there semesters?

Students at SC Whitmore School have the flexibility to complete their coursework in a schedule that works best for them. Since there are no “semesters” students will not get pushed ahead or held back by the pace of the class. That means there are no semester exams nor final exams in your courses.

How is attendance taken?

Attendance is taken through student login and the submission of qualified work. Students are expected to log in at least five days per week (Sunday-Saturday) and submit at least one lesson in each course. As long as you meet the state attendance requirements in a year’s time, your personal school schedule is up to you. Your school counselor will work with you to set a schedule that meets the state requirements, and fits your life.

How does an extended academic year work? Does that mean I have to go to school in the summer?

According to state guidelines, students are expected to advance at least one academic year in a year’s time (earning 6 credits per year). Students are not required to go to school in the summer, unless they have not completed their assigned courses and earned at least six credits in one academic year. Students who would like to get ahead, and potentially graduate early, have the option of working through the summer.

Can I graduate early?

Yes. Most years SC Whitmore School has several students that end up graduating high school early. Since you are able to complete courses at your own pace, including optional work on the weekends and over the summer, students are able to accelerate and complete high school in less than the traditional four years. We call these students our “flyers”, since they fly through high school.

Does SC Whitmore School have a traditional graduation ceremony?

Yes. SC Whitmore School organizes a traditional graduation ceremony each year (in late May) with caps, gowns, a guest speaker, etc. The ceremony is centrally located at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center in Columbia, SC. All students and parents are strongly encouraged to attend, in order to help celebrate the success of our graduating students.

How will I get my diploma?

If a student completes their graduation requirements prior to the graduation ceremony, we can send a transcript and letter of completion to colleges. Diplomas will be awarded at graduation.

What type of diploma does SC Whitmore School offer?

SC Whitmore School awards a standard South Carolina diploma, the same that is awarded by all other public high schools across the state.

What are past graduates of SC Whitmore School doing now?

Past graduates of SC Whitmore School have enrolled in two and four year colleges and universities across the country including, but not limited to: The University of South Carolina, Clemson University, Temple University, The College of Charleston, Midlands Technical College, Greenville Technical College, and Francis Marion University. Past graduates of SCWS graduates have also joined the military and/or entered the work force directly after graduation.

Do you provide a curriculum for children with special needs?

SC Whitmore School has a team of special education teachers that will help tailor the curriculum to meet your child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).

Will there be someone I can speak with if I have a problem?

Yes. Students may write to their teacher and/or their school counselor using the forms in our Learning Management System (LMS). Parents and students may also call the school and speak with an administrator at any time Monday-Friday.

How is my school doing?

Parents can view the school and district report cards on the South Carolina Department of Education website. Information is available for all public schools in SC for the last several years.

What is the school report card?

Just like our students, our school receives a grade each year. Our school receives a report card from both our district and the state of South Carolina. The state report card only measures academic performance, while our district report card, known as the School Performance Framework (SPF), measures three components:
  • Academics
  • Compliance
  • Finance
You may access the most recent district SPF HERE. You may click HERE for a guide, in order to better understand the SPF.
You may access the most recent state report card HERE. You may click HERE for a guide, in order to better understand the state report card.

What tests does the state require high school students to take?

End of Course (EOC) – Students enrolled in Algebra 1 Part 2/Intermediate Algebra, English 1, U.S. History, or Biology will participate in the End-of-Course Examination Program. Results of the test will count as 20% of the final course grade.

  • An English language proficiency test for students with limited English proficiency.
  • WorkKeys assessment and any other state mandated accountability test.

Are there any exceptions?

Yes. For students who demonstrate a significant cognitive disability and meet certain other criteria, the IEP team may determine that the South Carolina Alternative Assessment (SC-Alt) should be administered.

Do you have additional questions?

Please feel free to call SC Whitmore School at 866-476-6416, or email us at office@scwhitmoreschool.org, or submit a question via our contact page

Ready for a change?

You can enroll at any time of the year. We have flexible schedules, no semesters, and an extended school year.

Enroll Today